27 June 2009

What's the point

Do the messages on the various boards and sites strike anyone else as completely absurd? I understand that I'm probably about to get added to someone's prayer list for saying this, but God have mercy. This kind of thing is as bad as my six year old and four year old arguing over who gets to play the Wii.

I'm with those who see no point in trying to keep a conversation going at this point. It is useless. It is like one group is speaking French and the other is speaking German. I struggle with the path to take in this kind of situation because as a person committed to non-violence I see this language of "battle" on either side as completely outside of how things should work. I don't want to try to fix blame but let's just say it:

We are like two sides who eat at the same table (the Lord's table) then pick up our AK-47's and start shooting in the Church. The honest truth is that the people who will be hurt the most are the people who are just there looking for God. I'm not going to stop trying to educate people about what is going on, but if someone wants to kill me because I'm a heritic or drive me out of the Church, fine.

My kids will grow to see their Papa as a man who when folks start fighting and shooting people in the Church would rather die than pick up a gun and shoot back. To the Concerned Nazarenes, you and your group go ahead. If what you are doing is of God then none of us would ever be able to stop you. If not, then you and your group will end up like a NASCAR race where the whole field is involved in an inevitable pile-up.

If you want to fight, stop acting like you are on some crusade about it. The smell from that kind of activity is nauseating. Plus history shows what happens when folks go crusading.

The advice of one of my professors comes to mind. "Beware when you think you are riding in on a white stallion to save the Church. You may look down and discover you are riding an albino jackass."

2 comments:

  1. I voted for taking action and ending this a long, long time ago. So yes, I agree completely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was about to make a comment about your "professor," but I will send that message directly to the source.

    I do want to thank you for this post, and for your demeanor and character in all of your post. I have had trouble reading anything about this issue, because both sides have been very unChrist-like. That has been the most disturbing issue of all, and what has grieved me greatly. I cannot imagine how this grieves God???

    For anyone (Concerned or Emergent) to take a strong stand of Scripture and then to demean, destroy, and denigrate each other is not what Christ has taught or commanded us to do in the Book we deem so Holy.

    We all need to say this little prayer... Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on us sinners.

    ReplyDelete